This week in a regular feature, Blast From The Past (BFTP), where we look back at our favourite sets, albums and tracks, we're harking back to a Boiler Room from Kon. Over the years, I suspect BFTP will include a lot of Boiler Room sets given our own penchant for churning through them.
The set begins in awesome fashion with an edit of the mighty Hall & Oates, although the next few songs really straddle the borders of what's an acceptable amount of cheese. The rest of the set delivers a series of absolutely epic disco edits spliced in with sublime music from across the electronic spectrum, the full track list is below. Coupled with some impressive turntablism, this Boiler Room is a reminder that Kon is one of the finest funky selectors out there.
A special mention goes to the chef in the background (or foreground as the camera keeps frequently cutting to him inexplicably) committing a litany of food hygiene offences whilst knocking up some tasty nosh. Also, you can see another of my favourite selectors, Rahaan, rocking out in the background to add to the already sky high levels of feel-good from this underrated gem of a video.
- I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do) – Daryll Hall & John Oates (Kon edit)
- Watching You (Vikter Duplaix Remix) – Slave
- Love Thang – First Choice
- Sunlight – Kon & The Gang
- On The Prowl Party Breaks #7 - No Mistake (Kon's 2079 Mix)
- Raw Cuts (Recloose Remix) – Motor City Drum Ensemble
- Bring Me Down (Trus’me Stress & Pain Remix) – Garry Todd ft. Mike Dunn
- Grind – Les Sins
- Flume – Holdin On (Kaytranada Edit)
- Shake To The Ground – The Jacksons
- On My Way (Caserta’s Dub) – Kon
- Betrayal (Love Is Misery ; Shield Re-Edit) – Jesse Futerman Sandman -Blue Boy
- You’re Too Late – Fonda Rae & Fantasy
- Haven’t You Heard (Joey Negro Extended Disco Mix) – Patrice Rushen
- Dancin’ – Grey & Hanks
- Everybody Dance – CHIC Night
- Over Egypt (Remix) – Jones Girls
- Thinking Of You – Sister Sledge